Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Cruise was great

We just got back from the cruise to Cabo and Ensenada. The trip was great. We had no problems, sickness, or injuries. With 7 people, including Tanner, that is a huge blessing.

We found that a cruise is good for adults and not that great for the kids. I know the kids would disagree and rate this as one of the best vacations, but I think we spent too much time on a ship that is really geared more towards drunken gamblers. Tanner had a hard time going 5 days without baseball or football. He asked to play mini-golf every few minutes. But, he gave us all some respite by asking to play ping-pong every so often. The girls made some friends but mostly hung with the fam. Kyle never ventured out since the talent was super low. Kyle and I hit the gym once, which was very fun. We played lots of skip-bo, go-fish, and Dalmuti. The girls really wanted to see the evening show one night. So, I took all the girls and Tanner—Kyle would rather have jumped off the side, and Amy was asleep by 7. The show was the biggest waste of 1 hour in my entire life. Think disco costumes and crappy dancers. Even the girls looked very confused at the end. I could tell they were wondering if the show was a bad joke or if that is what a “show” is all about. The food was crappy but plentiful, so I was cool. The deserts were very tasty. I had some good bonding experiences with each of the kids which made the trip worth while. The stop in Cabo san lucas was fantastic. 97 degrees and sunny. We took a little glass-bottom boat tour and spent the rest of the day on this great beach. The beach is at the end of the Baja. On one side was the calm, fish-filled sea of Cortez. On the other side, about a 200 meter walk across nice sand, is the rough pacific. The kids loved the big pacific waves while Amy and I loved the still sea of Cortez. As we do at all beaches, we set up some rely races across the sand. My kids are starting to beat me at everything. I love it. You should see Kyle bear crawl. I’ll try to get some video on youtube soon. It’s all in HD, so I’ll have to figure out how to post HD or convert the footage. Our next stop was Ensenada. I haven’t been to Ensenada for about 15 years. It’s a real nice town. Very clean, nice streets, markets, restaurants, people. My buddy, who served in Sonora, tells me that’s how you know the drug lords have taken over. Anyway, I enjoyed the shopping—which is all we did. Kyle is not a shopper and bought nothing. The girls wanted to buy everything and made off with some serious booty. Tanner also got some cool stuff. Amy doesn’t really like knockoff Mexican wares…..so she bought nothing. I love cheap crap, but couldn’t find anything I liked that day—you can’t bring sweet Katanas back on the ship. It was great to be away from everything for a week and just have every minute with the family.

Cicy's health is 100% at this point. She has some tests scheduled for the 16th to make sure she's fine; and she has to stay on this medicine for about 6 months.

Tanner just had his baseball tourney and played like a madman. He pitched nearly perfectly and scored the go-ahead run in the top of the last inning. Unfortunately, the opposing team turned a grounder into a run which tied the game. Tanner was extremely distraught since we will not be advancing to the championship tomorrow. He had some great plays which I will try to get on youtube.

No comments: